Tuesday, October 23, 2012

IVF Workup in Taiwan (Part 12) : Menstrual Cycle Day 17 Embryo Transfer (ET) Day




On my Day 17, May 11, I was half excited half nervous as we walk to Mackay Memorial Hospital for the Embryo Transfer (ET).  Excited because finally we are getting there but nervous since only 2 embryos were fertilized, as what was relayed to me.

When we entered the IVF Lab, the embryologist gave me a thumbs-up sign and was very happy.  I was puzzled by her reaction.  She came to us and explained the grades of the embryos. 

Out of 8 eggs retrieved, 7 embryos were fertilized not 2.  All embryos that day looked good and had grades of 1 and 2.  However 3 of the embryos, as explained to me in layman’s term, may not be as good because during observation stage the embryos did not divide in the normal sequence i.e. one cell becoming two, two cells becoming four, and so on.  Either they missed it during observation (timing was not right) or there were really abnormalities during development.  But come day of Embryo Transfer all had divided beautifully.

I was delighted of the good news when I entered the room where Embryo Transfer was done.  This could have helped in the success of my IVF as I was in a very good mood during ET.

The IVF Lab staff prepared me and after a few minutes Dr. Robert Lee Kuo-Kuang came in.  He told me that he would be transferring 4 embryos to me, 2 grade ones and 2 grade twos.  While Dr. Lee was checking on me, preparing for the transfer, 4 IVF Lab staff stood beside him.  When he was ready, the lamp Dr. Lee uses was turned off, one staff looked at her watch timing the transfer from the time the embryologist took out the embryos until Dr. Lee had completed the Embryo Transfer.  I cannot remember how long the transfer should be completed but I know it must be quick as explained to me by Dr. Lee. 

I asked Dr. Lee if I could have a photo of the embryos he transferred to me as a souvenir because I normally have it from my IVF procedures here in Manila.   He said it could not be done because embryos are very sensitive to exposure to light like flash from the camera.  This was also the reason why during ET he had to turn off the lamp.

After the procedure he explained to me that the other 3 embryos would not be stored anymore; that even though all has high grade, development were not good.  I would only waste NT$10,000 for storage fee.  He wished me luck and said hopefully that one of the 4 embryos would be successful.  I was not regretful of the 3 embryos to be discarded, as I did not want anything for me to come back for anymore.  This is it, be it successful or not, this is my last pregnancy workup.

He then told me that I could do pregnancy test 11 days after, which was on May 22, Sunday, a day before my scheduled trip back to Manila.  Again, since it was a Sunday, I need to go to the Emergency Room to request for the hCG blood test.

He repeated the instruction for me to inject 2 vials a day of progesterone and use once a day vaginal progesterone, Crinone 8%.  Since he had already given me all the injectable progesterone during Ovum Pickup, he counted the number of Crinone I would need to buy, plus extra 10 more of it so if I tested positive, I will have time to source it here in Manila after I arrive.

I was left in the room lying down for more than half an hour.  Since there is Wifi anywhere in the hospital, I was e-chatting with people in Manila.

My husband and daughter waited at the IVF Lab.  My husband was able to talk to Dr. Lee and expressed his concern of multiple pregnancies because 4 embryos were transferred to me.  Dr. Lee said not to worry, in fact at my age, 40 turning 41, we should be happy if I even get pregnant with one.

My husband went to pay our bill of NT$37,607.00, breakdown as follows:

NT$
Php
Medicines
 5,315.00
 8,042.66
Treatment
 31,650.00
 47,892.78
Laboratory
 576.00
 871.60
Medical Supp
 6.00
 9.08
Pharmacy Service
 60.00
 90.79
 37,607.00
 56,906.91

This was our last bill in the entire IVF workup.  Post IVF procedure medicines are all included in our bills already.

That day, for the first time we took the cab back to KT Star.

No comments:

Post a Comment