Monday, October 15, 2012

IVF Workup in Taiwan (Part 9) : Menstrual Cycle Day 14 Ovum Pickup Day

continued from… IVF Workup in Taiwan (Part 8) : Menstrual Cycle Day 12 Doctor’s Consultation


We woke up early this day for my egg retrieval.  Part of me excited or anxious to get it over with after 2 weeks of busyness with going to and back from the hospital for my daily injections and doctor’s consultation. 

My daughter had been very cooperative all these time, walking 1.0 km. to the hospital with me for my daily injections and cheering me up saying "加油" while I am being injected.  She wakes up early without fuss the last few days for my early blood tests and this very important day.  While I dress her up, husband did his sperm collection in the comfort room (of course!).  I felt good then after all it was Mother’s Day and what day could be a better day for Ovum Pickup. I thought to myself, God is giving me a special gift, a baby on Mother’s Day!

We went to Mackay Memorial Hospital with the collected sperm and gave it first to the IVF Lab located at the 6th floor.  Then we proceeded to the Delivery Room, the nurse let me in and gave me a set of hospital gown and cap.  My husband and daughter waited outside.  After changing, I met them at the window, they wished me luck and off they went to have their breakfast.

At the Delivery Room, I chatted with the nurses inside while they were preparing me.  They asked me how long have I been in Taiwan.  I reluctantly said 2 weeks and that I came to Taiwan just for the workup.  They were surprised as they thought I have been living in Taiwan for sometime because I can speak Mandarin.  So I explained my educational background, studied in Saint Jude Catholic School for 13 years, how could you not speak the Language?

Then the nurse informed me they are putting me to sleep now. I knocked off! 

When I woke up, it’s done and Dr. Robert Lee Kuo-Kuang was also gone.   The nurse handed me my clothes so I can change.  I was starving!  My husband and daughter were there to meet me after I changed, with a sandwich.  Husband had anticipated I should be very hungry as I did not take anything that morning due to fasting from 12 midnight onwards and it was already lunchtime then.

While I was asleep, my husband paid the hospital bills and got all the medicines from the pharmacy.  Dr. Lee gave him instructions for the next few days.  I need to inject 2 vials of progesterone every day and use vaginal progesterone, Crinone 8%, once a day starting after Ovum Pickup.  Other medicines given were antacid, pain reliever and antibiotic.  On the day of Embryo Transfer (ET) I need to bring 1 Crinone to be used right after ET.

My hospital bill was NT$42.196.00, breakdown as follows:

NT$
Php
Registration
 100.00
 151.32
Dr. Examination
 300.00
 453.96
Medicines
 2,999.00
 4,538.09
Treatment
 828.00
 1,252.93
Surgery
 26,361.00
 39,889.47
Anesthesia
 4,338.00
 6,564.26
Medical Supplies
 7,210.00
 10,910.17
Pharmacy Service
 60.00
 90.79
 42,196.00
 63,850.99

This time I could not breakdown the cost of the medicines anymore but it includes 12 pieces each of antacid, pain reliever and antibiotics and 5 pieces of Crinone 8% (vaginal progesterone) and 32 vials of injectable progesterone to be injected 2 vials each day until positive pregnancy test. 

A total of 8 eggs were retrieved.  I was to call the IVF Lab the next day at 4:00 pm to find out how many embryos were fertilized.  Tentative date of Embryo Transfer (ET) was 10:30 am of May 11, 2011, my Day 17.   This means we have 2 days vacation from our workup.  Oh well, not totally a break as I still need to have progesterone injection in the mornings.


No comments:

Post a Comment